Town Hall of Spangenberg and Liebenbach fountain
The town hall of Spangenberg was built in a combined way, the two lower floors built in stone, the upper floor in half-timbered architecture, which is covered with plaster. The exact time when it was built is unknown, but its style is definitely from the 16th century.
The Liebenbach fountain on the market square is a 1902 donation of Heinrich Salzmann, owner of numerous textile factories in Germany, born in Spangenberg. It shows the death scene of Elsa and Kuno from a tale originating in the town.
Kuno, a young craftsman from a poor family, and Elsa, a young lady from a rich merchant family had fallen in love and wanted to marry. Elsa’s parents, however, did not agree with the marriage not befitting their rank. After lots of asking and begging, the parents finally agreed under one condition: The craftsman should prove his strength by diverting the well from a mountain outside the town to the market place in order to end the water shortage in the town — a task that was impossible to master for a single person. Thus, Elsa helped Kuno, and the couple kept working for forty years. The same day the new well was inaugurated, the couple was led to the church for their wedding, followed by the entire population of the town because they all were impressed by their love and faithfulness. Elsa and Kuno, however, died from exhaustion arm in arm at the steps of the church. Sad and deeply moved, the citizens of Spangenberg buried the couple in honor. The diverted brook was named Liebenbach, “love brook”, in memory of Elsa and Kuno, the faithful lovers. It is said that everyone who drinks from this well will return to Spangenberg and stay there for the rest of his life.