Here we dead lie because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
But young men think it is, and we were young.
— A.E. Housman
And then they came, our own men, over the crest,
Bleeding and limping, babbling out their news:
'We've chased them miles ahead… They won't
Stand up and fight like us… They’re just in front’.
They led one who kept crying, ‘I could see
No one. Only green bushes and a hill’.
He would never see much again. Breathe. Rest.
Private Harley Matthews (Vintage of War p 13)
One lucky winner will be sent a carton with these supplies:
- 1 brand new copy of Letters from Iwo Jima
- 1 model of an F6F Hellcat
- 3 Pins (USAAF, Rep. of China, Memphis Belle)
- 1 pocket size trivia book
- 1 fantastic book describing classic WWII dogfights.
Naturally, there’s some fine print to keep in mind:
- You do not need to be following me. I mean, sure, if you love history and planes and historical planes, you’re welcome to… but it’s by no means necessary to win.
- I ship where ever.
- Reblogs are what count. Likes do not. There’s not really a limit on how often you reblog, but be a sensible human being, please.
- No giveaway blogs. You will be disqualified.
- Giveaway ends August 24th, at 12:01 am. I will be determining the victor via random.org. Please, keep your ask box open. If you do not reply to me within 72 hours I will determine a different victor.
- Please be comfortable with giving me your address and personal information, should you win.
(Source: pra-vda, via tennyowithaluger)